Prostate Problem Guide
Prostate Milking Or Prostate Massage
Prostate milking, which is also referred to as prostate massage, can be carried out purely for pleasure but it is also often performed either by a doctor or in the form of self prostate milking for medical reasons.
The prostate gland forms part of the male reproductive system and its principle role is to produce a clear fluid which makes up about one-third of the seminal fluid which carries and protects the male sperm during intercourse.
In cases of chronic prostatitis (an inflammation of the prostate gland) or an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH) prostate milking can be helpful in reducing pressure in the prostate gland by removing excess fluid.
Prostate milking can be done externally by stimulating the prostate through the perineum (the area between the anus and the scrotum) but this method is not always successful in removing fluid. Accordingly, it is more usual for the prostate to be milked internally using a finger, prostate massager or other medical device.
If performing self prostate milking you should proceed as follows:
- Pay a visit to the bathroom and ensure that both your bowel and bladder are emptied before attempting prostate milking.
- Make sure that your fingernails are trimmed and wash your hands and the area around your anus thoroughly.
- Put a sterile latex glove on the hand which you are going to use to milk the prostate gland and apply a liberal quantity of a water-based lubricant to your gloved fingers.
- Get into a comfortable position. There are many possible positions which you can adopt, such as that shown in the prostate milking picture above, and it is really a matter of finding the position with which you are most comfortable. The secret is to find a comfortable position from which you can gain easy access to the prostate gland with your gloved hand.
If you find that you are not limber enough to get into a suitable position then it may be necessary to ask your doctor, or somebody else, to massage the prostate gland for you.
- Gently insert your finger (or fingers) into your anus and then slowly move it forward along the wall of the rectum, as if you are making your way towards your belly button, until you feel the prostate gland. The prostate gland will feel like a small round ball about the size of a walnut.
- Once you have located the prostate gland massage it gently along both sides, but avoid the central area which contains a number of sensitive nerves.
- After several minutes of gentle milking the gland will be sufficiently stimulated to contract and release its fluid. At this point you may experience a degree of sexual pleasure and, in some cases, may also experience orgasm.
Although prostate milking can be extremely helpful as a form of preventative medicine it is not without risk and there are a couple of points which should be borne in mind.
First, prostate milking should not be carried out if you are suffering from acute (as opposed to simply chronic) prostatitis. Massaging the prostate with acute bacterial prostatitis can result in septicemia (blood poisoning).
Second, never use undue force and always perform prostate milking as gently as possible and with just sufficient force to stimulate the prostate gland. If you think in terms of the force used when gently massaging a tired eyeball this is about the right pressure. There are several potentially serious consequences to over-vigorous milking:
- If you are suffering from as yet undiagnosed prostate cancer then cancerous cells could be broken up and distributed not only spreading cancer within the prostate gland but also causing it to metastasize and thus spread to other areas of the body.
- If you are suffering from prostatic calculi (small stones within the prostate gland) these can act rather like scouring grit and tear the delicate membranes of the gland.
- The rectal lining in the area of the prostate gland is very thin and can easily be perforated.
- Excessive stimulation of the lining of the rectum can result in the appearance or flaring of hemorrhoids.
If you are in any doubt about whether or not you are safe to perform prostate milking then you should consult your doctor before proceeding.